Thursday 24 March 2011

Size does matter...

You can seriously shrink your flower budget by choosing smaller bouquets. 

In total we spent $264.22 in the floral department of Whole Foods.  The boss there got on board my frugal train from the start.  (This is another key part of sticking with a budget you can live with).  At Whole Foods, the whole floral team got really quite excited by the challenge of the $35 bridal bouquet.

The other key to keeping floral costs in line is to go with what's in season.  I chose a colour scheme (red), but was never 'married' to a specific type of flower.  This gave the florists the freedom to hit the flower auction day of, and make the most of the daily bargains.

In the end I had orchids and gerbs, locally grown anemones and even sustainably grown roses.  The bouquets were hand tied with white fabric ribbon and held together with red-headed pins. The boutonnieres looked like sea creatures (perfect for my husband truly devoted to the sea). 

That $264 bill bought us one bridal bouquet, four bridesmaids' bouquets, two flower girl bouquets, 8 boutonnieres and one wrist corsage.

My flowers were stunning.  I doubt any of my guests would disagree.  I don't think any one of them felt there was anything skimpy about my flora.  In the end, the arrangements were more 'me' than I could have ever come up with myself. And at $35, the price of my bouquet, was less than half the average I was quoted elsewhere, and freed me of any crafting on my big day.

1 comment:

  1. Is that your 35$ wedding bouquet? It is absolutely adorable! Smaller bouquets really make sense then! Thank you for ispiration!

    ReplyDelete