Saturday 5 March 2011

BFB Gets Fit


Six months ago I was a closet smoker, sneaking other people's ciggies, unable to let the last few smoking pals in my life, do it alone.

Today I ran seven miles.

What changed?  I'm not exactly sure.

But by mid November, after a two month stint in Ottawa, where I smoked my face off (along with what seemed like everybody else), and on the cusp of a reunion with Jeff, who hates anything to do with cigarettes, I thought, 'it's time'.  Hardly an epiphany. They say it takes something like seven tries before you really stop, I've been trying to quit since I first lit up at 15.

First I knew I would have to remove myself from the last temptation.  Not really that hard.  Most of my girls gave it up a long time ago, but a handful persist, like lone wolves - brave social pariahs.

The last time I stopped for any measurable time, I flirted with running, inspired by my great pals A&B -- B who ran his first half marathon in his late 40's.  I was at the finish line of that UBC Fall Classic in awe. Oddly enough, two other great pals crossed that line too.  I had no idea they were runners.  A secret society of happy, healthy, beautiful people was revealing itself before my very eyes. 

Come January I started trotting the neighbourhood again.  Two minutes on, one minute off.  I was up to about 10 sets, when my friend V, who owns the Vancouver institution Rackets and Runners, suggested I sign up for a race.  She explained that would keep me honest, and training. 

I took the plunge and signed up for the Sun Run.  Now, I know reasonably fit people who run the 10 k course in about an hour and a quarter.  Until very recently remember, I could handle running for two minutes max.  Already into February, the April race seemed rather daunting.

So V suggested I join a running group out of her store.  Barely a week into March, I run three days a week, carried by the spirit of the group.

I've been taught how to do it right, to run on my toes, and bound like a deer, not to bounce, and definitely not to overdo it.  I've circled tracks, and tackled hills.  Last week I even crossed a bridge.

The discipline alone has changed my life.  I need less sleep.  I get fresh air. I've heard I'm a calmer, gentler version of myself.

Running is the ideal sport for this Blushing Frugal Bride.  Aside from investing in a good pair of runners, and connecting with a salt-of-the-earth clinic, I can do it in my grubby old yoga pants, and a polyester toque.

No comments:

Post a Comment