Monday 14 March 2011

Please make me look like Audrey...

When I was a kid, I had a mild obsession with Anne Frank.  As an adult, I turned to Audrey Hepburn.  For my wedding I want her updo. 'That', says the sweet little stylist I'm test driving the hair with, 'requires serious back comb'.

The hair as you see it in this photo, is obviously not the final product, but the process about half way through.

In the end, at $150 between the consultation and the actual day, the hair will not be my most frugal moment.  But I've never had a proper updo before, or at least one that made it to the function. I did have all the curls and pins and updone details for high school prom.  What I didn't have was the courage to tell the stylist I hated her creation, so I pulled the do down, pin by pin, the moment I stepped out of the salon.

So I'm going for it again. This time, gratefully, I was very pleasantly surprised at the consultation.  38 bobby pins that partially dug into my scalp kept all hairs backcombed and in place.  I'm pretty sure the final product had its own personality, and could stand on its own for days.  It was so big by the end of the audition, we contemplated hiding snacks in there in case I got hungry. There was some debate as to whether the updo was a bit severe, and should be styled partly up, partly down.  But I've now vetoed that.  My Little Sister Heather (bridesmaid number 4), thought it looked an awful lot like a mullet.

So on Friday, my four bridesmaids, two flower girls and I, have a date with the salon at 2pm.  We can bring a little bottle for sipping, and finger foods to absorb the nerves. 

This is one of those special rituals I think is worth the bucks.  Really it's only the Bridal Hair that's a little pricey.  All others are $55 for updo, $33 for blow out, and $21 for girls under 14. 

This one's on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment