Sunday 6 March 2011

She who goes rogue on hair two weeks before big day...


Please don't hate me Luis. I just can't afford you anymore.

I've been paying close to $90 for a cut with a stylist I absolutely adore for the last few years.  I go once in spring, then again in fall. The thing is, my hair is very fine and chronically fuzzy. I have tried every product and treatment (except the Brazilian blowout, which I just can't justify), and have been searching for the magic pill since I first became hair aware.  I own the pricey, professional hairdryer, and the $68 goop that promises to nourish and tame my obviously starving follicles.

I haven't given up. I've just accepted that not all hair has magazine cover potential.  But I did begin to wonder if a trim of the bangs, and a couple of layers around the back really had to be a $90 adventure.

Once you make the frugal commitment, it's amazing who and what shows up.  Almost like the Universe has your back.

Jeff and I were walking to London Drugs to buy our marriage licence, when, at the corner of Broadway and Heather, we met Laura - a bold, young, entrepreneurial hairdresser, standing on the corner outside her salon, soliciting.

The courage, initiative and spunk of this spry 22 year old impressed me.  Her discount coupon sold me.  She charges $45 for a cut, but with the coupon, I'd pay $35.  She just moved here from the North Shore, she tells us, and is trying to build her clientele.  Once again I figured, I just need my bangs trimmed, and a few layers out back.  What was the risk? Besides, the salon she works out of is high end, and very reputable.

So I returned the next day, at the appointed time, now with a little more doubt about my decision.  Two weeks before my wedding, was it really worth messing with my hair?

So I got the $35 cut, oh, and a $100 colour. Gratefully, I am thrilled with both.

Laura sent me away with three more $10 coupons to pass along to friends.  If my friends use those cards, I'll get another $10 off my next cut. 

I'm one satisfied frugal bride.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... You still have any of those coupons? :P
    Sign me
    "a needle as fine as a mosquito's prick"

    ReplyDelete