Thursday 10 March 2011

Thrift Store Score, 8 Days Before!


I love the thrift store.  Especially when I score.  It doesn't happen everyday - partly because I don't devote a lot of time to regular rounds, and partly because I don't have huge patience to sift through racks of stuff.

Over the years though, I have acquired some of my favourite pieces from the local thrift, including my favourite winter coat (think Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's), a vintage velvet couch (which went with Mom to Montreal), a pair of black Prada Mary Jane's, and a old school wool overcoat for Jeff.

My sister is the real thrift store diva.  But she has much more patience than I do, and a more creative sense of style.

If, like me, a quick scan is more your way, I recommend sticking with smaller thrift stores that get a lot of traffic.  They won't overwhelm you with stuff, and turn over is high.  Also, if you score once, it's worth checking back.  People tend to drop off their goodies at the same place, so chances are the owner who gave up her turqoise, Seychelles, dropped off the same ones in black, the following season. (Another two of my favourite finds).

So today, after Jeff's trip to the dentist, we poked next door into one of my favourite Sally Ann's.  He found a practically new pair of black, high top Converse for $17.  (He needed replacements for the pair he gave to a young friend we made in Cuba). I found a pair of beautiful heels, one of my Best Women will wear on the big day. They set me back a whole 8 bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment