Saturday 19 February 2011

The Registry: Why We Surrendered...


I never would have imagined one of my most emotional moments in the lead up to the Big Day would occur deep inside The Bay, in registry headquarters.

Jeff and I are a 38-year-old couple, living in a one bedroom apartment, with everything we need. We're not big consumers, and weren't really sold on the idea of picking out a bunch of stuff, then asking for it with conviction, all while pledging allegiance to one retail empire. Somehow it just didn't feel like 'us'.

Then we took stock. Could the hot-knifed bread knives forever seared during a party I hosted 15 years ago, and dreaded serving dinner guests, finally be retired?  Might some new, state-of-the-art pots replace our thrift store make-do's?

First we scanned cautiously, considering every item's potential usefulness.  But a couple of hours among 500 thread count linens, Kitchen Aid mixers, and alas, the Le Creuset pots, and suddenly we could imagine a table set with Kate Spade china, and sex between Calvin Klein sheets.

We, (okay I), spent the first few days sheepishly checking our list online, until I began to wonder if maybe the store would ask me to return that $25 gift card they gave us just for registering.

Then came the call: notice that we had something to pick up.  I had to wait a day before I could go. I was like a kid the night before Christmas. 

Sweet Marion (with a striking resemblance to Mrs Claus) was waiting for me in the Registry office.  Magically she produced a massive package, wrapped in silver paper, tied with a bow.  I caught my breath. What could this be and who was it from?

We have received one item from the list of things we picked out - we got the set of Le Creuset pots we'd probably never buy for ourselves.  We will keep them for lifetime.  We will care for them like gold. What makes them most special, is from where they came.  My family amazes me everyday.  I am blessed to have great relationships, and special connections with my aunts and uncles. I was humbled, and overwhelmed and so moved and so honoured that one of my uncles felt somehow Jeff and I were worthy of such a gift.

I looked at Marion, who was beaming at me with the face of an angel, and I couldn't say anything at all -- a truly unexpected lesson in dreaming, getting comfortable asking, at ease being celebrated.

For the frugal bride who surrenders to the idea that the people who love her, may want to express that with a gesture, I recommend The Bay.  Just for showing up, and picking out a bunch of stuff, you get a $25 gift card you can spend right away!

1 comment:

  1. Your uncle is a very generous man! I don't think I'd have the nerve to list anything that expensive our our registry. So far I have only had the guts to list products for $70 or less. I'd feel bad about asking for anything more than that. But maybe I have time to change. We don't get married for another three months.

    From Agnes, a fellow bride

    ReplyDelete