Thursday 24 February 2011

The Registry: the Faux Pas of the BFB


Yikes. 

My 'Registry' post ruffled a few feathers and raised a few eyebrows. I can hear Mom tisking as I write this...

You see she thought it was rather gauche to get into detail about a gift, who it was from, and how much it cost.  While I respect your opinions, and always consider your advice Mom, I promised myself, I was going to write about it all -- that I would giggle at that which is worth a chuckle, be surprised by the unexpected, bumble my way through the social gaffes, and stoically wade through what's a little uncomfortable.

I bring up 'The Registry' again, because it has sparked a lot of conversation so far. So have the pots.

Agnes, a fellow bride writes: "Your uncle is a very generous man! I don't think I'd have the nerve to list anything that expensive on our registry. So far I have only had the guts to list products for $70 or less. I'd feel bad about asking for anything more than that. But maybe I have time to change. We don't get married for another three months".

After wrestling with the 'right thing to do', after spending my whole life 'being appropriate, to Agnes I simply say this: why not give others the opportunity to give you what you want.  A wedding seems the perfect time to do that.

Thanks for writing Agnes!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your last sentiment. A wedding registry is a Wish List and an opportunity to dream. Let your guests decide how they would like to honour you. Knowing Ms T (I'll have to change the Ms part soon), she will have just as much gratitude for the people who purchase the least expensive items on the registry. Nor would she have been upset if no one purchased the pots. So Agnes I say add a few dream items to your list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always put dream items on your list...... People like to pool their funds on occasion to make sure you get those big ticket items. Always reach for the stars.... Wedding wishes should be granted!

    ReplyDelete