Sunday 27 February 2011

Frugal v. Cheap

An important distinction.

Frugal isn't about sacrificing quality, lovely things or great experiences.  Frugal implies wisdom.  Cheap can't shake shame. Frugal hosts great dinner parties at home, with good wine and fabulous cheese, instead of spending way too much on haute cuisine out.  Cheap agrees to night out then is always the last to pay.

The Pocket Oxford Dictionary (the one Ma bought me when I started grade 4 that I still use for reference), defines frugal as 'sparing, economical'.

'Cheap', on the other hand, is loaded with bagagge: 'of low cost and bad quality; inferior, shoddy; worth more than its cost; easily got or made; worthless, of little account'. 

Frugal knows some things are sacred. When it comes to my wedding, the venue is most important.  I needed a guaranteed classy affair to wow guests from out of town who have never been to Vancouver. But even on the sacred, you can still exercise frugalism.  Two of the three venues we liked didn't have catering on site. It's always more expensive (by up to 30 percent!), when the food and servers are brought it.  You'll find yourself paying for fork rentals, and hourly serving wages.  We opted for a cocktail reception over a sit down dinner.  Not a huge savings, but definitely more 'us'.

Frugal respects the value of a dollar.  Cheap smacks of deprivation, oozes poverty consciousness, and reaks of bad breeding.

I've been a reckless spender and, on occasion, I've been cheap.  Today I think I've found the balance.


She who is frugal chooses wisely.  That little black dress from Holt's half price in the January sales, really will last.  When will you wear those little white wedding shoes again?

'The Dress - Part Deux', is next!

1 comment: