Thursday 17 February 2011

The invitation is in the mail...


Better late than never?

Sitting on the beach in Cuba as December rolled into January, I had my moment of panic.  With three months to go, I knew most of my 80+ guests were saving the date, but no one had anything official on paper.

We had no official plan for invitations either.  Oops.

In my time as a high end hotel concierge, I've planned many parties and even weddings.  I can pull a lot of things off last minute, but invitations + addresses + snail mail, aren't one of them.

In my opinion, invites should be done right - nice paper, with a tasteful message, that all still somehow represents.  As we strolled that strip of beach, grinding the mint into the last of the day's mohito, we talked concepts that could be turned around fast.  We thought about Jeff designing something (he is a very talented visual artist).  But as much as I need the pressure of deadline to write, he needs time and space to create.

When we got home, we thought we'd hire someone to do a caricature of us straddling an airplane - appropriate because we met on a flight to Newfoundland; cute because we became engaged on a flight to Montreal.  But the art alone was likely to set us back about $250.

In the end, one of my dearest friends offered her brother's professional service. 

He kept the plane theme.

Now we're hoping Westjet might sponsor the honeymoon. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment