Monday 18 April 2011

Still a Craigslist virgin?

The BFB is totally horrified to learn 40% of Canadians are trashing upwards of $400 by throwing out unwanted crap instead of selling it. This, according to an Ipsos Reid survey for Kijiji.

This leads me to believe a whole wack of us are still - tragically - Craigslist/Kijiji virgins.

I have bought and sold just about everything on Craigslist.  I parted with my '92 Mazda Protege online and got rid of a brand new bathroom sink never used in a reno, but sat hogging storage space for nearly two years.  I sold a coveted Team Canada jersey at the feverish height of Olympic demand and I still, from time to time, eye my husband's, wondering what it might fetch today.  When my Dad was downsizing his business and preparing to give away his entire office inventory, I stepped in and sold it for him.  We split the profit.  I made $1500!  I sold an antique wood table for more than I paid.  I've turned handbags and camera lenses into solid bucks. When it comes to best Craigslist buys, I found my wedding veil on the site, and paid just $20 for it.

So why don't more of us dabble? Survey says the perceived hassle causes nearly half of Canadians to chuck unwanted stuff out with their regular garbage!


Purging, sorting, valuing, photographing and posting are indeed involved.  So is making dates with strangers.  But I promise you, the old cliche is true: one man's trash is another man's treasure.  You'll find many who are willing to pay.

I'm currently selling an Italian granite counter top for $400.  The new owners of our old condo are gutting the place.  My savvy Ma collected it when she saw the 'free' ad.  It's worth $1500.  I should know.  I'm the one who originally bought it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi BFB!!!!!

    Here is a link to a site. We have it in Ontario, I am sure that you would have it on the West Coast. You will love it. It is a site that is dedicated to keeping stuff out of landfill by offering stuff free to anyone who wants it. Alternatively, if you are looking for something, you can also post. This would be more for the stuff that you could not or would not want to sell. It is pretty awesome and interesting all at the same time.

    http://www.freecycle.org/

    Hope that all is well.
    Love always

    ReplyDelete